Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Great Gathering of Privileged

(I am going to take a little break from talking about college access.)

Yesterday I went to the MN State Fair. Have been going for a few years now. Though, it never occurred to me that I have been at the fair because of the privilege I enjoy here.

I know I am undocumented, but getting into college and the process of getting there has opened many doors for me. The fact that I have met many people throughout my time here in MN is really due to my efforts to get to college. These people provide networking. Networking provides access to things not everyone has access to.

The Fair, I believe, is a place of privilege. I remember a few years ago when I wanted to take my family there because I had been to it and wanted them to be there too. They did not want to because, one, it was too expensive. Two, what if immigration was there? Three, we don't go there.

Well, I went and it was all fine. Yeah it is pricey, but it is worth it. Plus, we know immigration is a racist institution today, so they are not going to go to a place where mostly white Americans gather every year. It's a tradition in our state; immigration will not make such an stupid move. Imagine whites getting at immigration for asking for their immigration... it just won't happen.

Overall, people who attend the fair are people who have the money and do not fear for their safety based on their status. I am sure many people don't see it this way, but the fair is really another place where privilege comes together every year ending on Labor Day.

I do have to say that I enjoy the fair because it always allows me to be part of something many would not want me to. Even though this time I did not have to pay for an entrance ticket, again thanks to my connections and therefore privilege, and was not able to be one in the crowd to help break the record of attendants to the fair, I was still there. But even more exciting, I was able to hear Republicans talk about their gubernatorial campaigns--I am sure they would not have wanted me to be there at all....but I was! Check out my picture.

I did not know who any of them are (many republicans do not get along very well with people of color in MN by the way), but the guy behind the speaker in the picture, Marty Seifrt, who spoke against the Dream Act fiercely and made me really sad he was willing to forgo potential professionals for politics. I do hope he does not become governor of MN.

The Honorable P

1 comment:

  1. You should have shouted out, "You lie!" at Marty! lol

    G

    ReplyDelete