Friday, March 12, 2010

Seeking a Wife

A few months ago I met with a lawyer to talk about my immigration situation. I went in sort of knowing what I was going to hear. There are really not many options for me to get my permanent residency aside from a few options.

One of those options is that I become a victim of a gross crime. That is probably not going to happen, hopefully. Or I am part of a natural disaster. And I hope that does not happen. I hope our bridges stay put for ever and ever, so lets keep funding them for sure.

Marriage is another option. One, I do not want to get married now. For some time people, including my family, had been telling me that I should just marry someone who is a U.S. citizen. So it cannot be anyone else, I am limited. I had considered this before, but I opted out because if I marry, I want it to be because I fall in love and become committed to this one person. I do have traditional views on marriage. But what if I fall in love with someone who looks like me, someone who pees standing like me? Does my love and commitment to this person also by default ensure me what the marriage recognized by the Federal Government ensures those who get married to a U.S. citizen?

I was at this student conference a few years ago and someone said that we should just get married. It worked for this person. My concern was that it is something that works for someone, but not for everyone. Those part of the LGBT community are kept out of this process. Even if the idea that love is our solution, it is only a limited and restricted one.

Today I was reminded about this marriage idea. I always think about it in a satirical way because it is just the most ironic thing that marriage could be my only feasible solution. So when I was on the net earlier I saw this article that mocks the idea that our only option is marriage.

While I am sure some people do it because they believe in marriage and because they are committed to each other, we also need to recognize that many are not going to be able to do this for many other reasons. It is not a viable solution and it should not be the solution.

The other option to solve my immigration troubles is to solve and correct the immigration system. In the mean time I am going to go and work out my courting skills and see if I catch some U.S. citizen to marry me :)

The Honorable Puck Fawlenty

No comments:

Post a Comment