Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Is it always about immigration?

I was walking to a movie with my friends from college, who happen to be white. They made some jokes, racially charged, and I fired a joke about immigration and whites (Side note: if someone thinks they are going to make jokes about minorities, don't expect I will just listen and laugh; I will fire back with a great "white" joke...which makes my white friends flinch!). One of them asked me, "Is everything about immigration?"

Puck: "Actually, a lot in my life is about immigration."

This statement highlights two things. One, it speaks about how little some of the friends I have in school know about me. These are people I do not really trust with my "secrets." In reality, there are not many students in school who know I am undocumented, which is very interesting to think about. I mean, as a leader in the community, I know many, many people. Yet, only counted and "chosen" people know about my situation.

The other thing my statement does is that it really tells about my life. In reality, my life is much about immigration. In many ways, my immigration status defines much of what I can do. I think about it every day, which seems not to be the case for my white friends. I'm sure they would if they had someone really close who has to struggle with our broken system.

Here are some examples about how my status really limits me. If I wan to travel, I risk it. Getting a job, not an option really. Speaking out on immigration in a personal way, often times not feasible. Going dancing, limited since some places require state I.D.s, and most of my white friends do not go to clubs where I can go.

However, my status has not stopped me from doing many things. I am in college, and being in college is being liberated in many ways. I can continue my education after high school; I can become a leader; I can still play role in my community and not seclude to a life of fear; I am being educated in certain disciplines.

With that said, I think I can say that even though my life can be a really serious one, I still hold a sense of humor, which really helps me keep some sanity.

The Honorable P

No comments:

Post a Comment