Monday, August 17, 2009

The uncertain future

As a student in college, and undocumented, it comes easy to be invited to speak to other high schoolers who might find themselves in the situation I found myself in a couple of years ago: what is after high school graduation. The last couple of years of high school for me were very much about that, about thinking what I will do after working so hard in school and at the end, it would have been "worthless." I thought getting to college was not going to happen nor that it was possible even.

Through the help of certain programs who get it, who believe that education should be available to everyone, I made it. Now it has been my pleasure to go around and speak to students in high school who are confronting such questions about the future. I often times find myself highlighting the different people, organizations who will support them. I also point out that it will be up to them to seek the necessary help, and that sometimes some will give them wrong advice, even that college is not possible for them. But, as my life attests, college is a possibility even though there is no one-way for us to get there.

Last week when I was speaking to a group of students who are going into the 9th grade, some asked about where I was from (maybe to make a personal connections), others asked about whether or not I was bilingual (if I spoke the same language as their families), some others asked if I liked soccer (not my favorite sport I have to admit, but sometimes enjoy it. I do own a soccer team wallet...), but one of them asked me about what she had heard: after college one would not be able to get a job even with a degree. I have had this question before many times, and I am always honest. There is not a clear answer to what will happen after we graduate. We have heard stories of students being hired by their own schools after a long process, students being hired by others, and some going to other parts of the world to work.

However, I always emphasize that today what should be important is to continue to get educated by any means, that is the only way out of inequality and injustice. But also, that they cannot forget that we all hold power. If many of us are believed to have brought down the economy (which is B.S.), our masses definitely hold power in this country and we must put that to use. And this can come through engaging in our communities, giving our time to other kids tutoring, giving our time to organization that get people out to vote or making sure those we know who can vote actually vote(we can influence voting outcomes), etc.

There are more than 60,000 students who graduate from high school every year who are undocumented and certainly, at least, a small percentage of us go on to college. There are thousands of us in college today receiving a high valued education. We are assets to our communities and the country. The country needs our skills. Society is in deep need of our high qualified work. Hopefully, soon laws would change and allow us to fully become members of society, so that we contribute even more than we do today.

Overall, even if often times younger students become discouraged for what the future might hold, my message is always about hope. Hope that they may continue to stay in school and out of trouble. Hope that they can see themselves as change makers, in their families and communities. Hope that immigration laws change soon. Hope to keep dreaming and setting goals for life. And hope that education will grant us a better future.
As you can see, I am a very optimistic person.

The Honorable P

No comments:

Post a Comment