Monday, August 10, 2009

Superheroes are aliens...

So, I've been thinking about what are some of the things I should share with you in this blog. Even though I have yet to figure that out still, here is something I want you to know.

The other day I was with a friend and he asked why are immigrants consider "aliens." I said I had no idea about that, but it really sounds like a biblical term. Then, I really started thinking about that and came to the conclusion that we "aliens" are the koolest.

Here is my reasoning. Being an "alien" would constitute that we are not from here. For God's sake, an "alien" is not even from this world! And I guess being undocumented means I get more "alienized," even kooler, huh?
In any case, the U.S. has invented many superhero/ine stories, such as Superman, Spiderman, or Catwoman. We praise Superman; we have how many movies about him? Well, where did he come from? Not from earth that's for sure. He is the most alien thing I know! And yet, he was able to get a job, to get sort of a real life. I never found whether or not he even has a social security number! I mean, this dude is so way more alienized than me... and yet, even without a social security number, which is really what makes things a bit harder for me, Superman is an icon in our society.

Well, he does save the world, I'll give you that. But I am a real person and just as inspiring as he is. And I am trying to save the world too--I recycle ok? You should try it too.

My point is that being an "alien" is not as bad as you might think (in this sense)--we are the Supermen/Catwomen of our generation. I have endured so much that you could argue I have superpowers. Every time I fall, I stand up. Every time I am hurt, I cry and suffer pain, but I am strong; I usually overcome.

I still have to say that I don't like being referred to as an "alien." I am a real person, I assure you.

Hasta la vista humans.

- The Honorable P

1 comment:

  1. I like how you equate "illegal aliens" with superheroes. It's refreshing to see a positive spin placed on that word.

    I dislike the phrase "illegal alien" as well..and try to refrain from using it in my blog--although sometimes its hard to avoid.

    There aren't many benign ways to refer to "aliens" in the English language. It's unfortunate we have to label people in such a fashion. We are all human beings, made of flesh and blood..that should be the only catagory we have to use. But alas...humans always have to complicate things.

    Like you, my husband has survived some horrendous things in his life. I am always amazed by his strength and tenacity. Honestly, if I had to endure the type of problems you and my husband have gone through, I'm not sure I would have the strength.

    Keep writing your blog! This is the type of story that needs to be heard.

    Blessings to you...

    Beth

    ReplyDelete