Friday, August 14, 2009

Turn your head and caugh, damn it!

I am applying for a program in the fall. I have to do a lot of paperwork. When I read in one of the forms, after doing a lot of work for this and paying the application fee, that a physical and insurance coverage are required, I became very frustrated.

For once, I thought I did not have to deal with anything related to immigration when applying for this program. But again, I was reminded about it because I do not have health care insurance. This was a real deal-breaker for me once I found out about this requirement. Then, I found out that through my school I get some sort of coverage, which could be used in order to actually be able to do this program I really want to do.

After this I called to make an appointment for my physical. I had to give personal info, which is normal. But then, I was asked to give my social security number. I don't have one! I asked if I had to give a number and the person asked, 'Do you have a problem giving me this information?" "Yes I do," I said. I felt angry at myself for giving that answer, but I was not about to explain my life to this person over the phone. I was angry at the fact that, again, I was reminded about immigration and what I can and cannot do.

Sometimes I wish I could just forget. Sometimes it feels like a burden to be constantly reminded about it all. Sometimes I wish I could live a normal life, a life that is not so limited and constrained by rules that oppress. I, for once, would not want to be reminded all the time about it.

At the same time, I cannot forget that I can be part of the solution and that I can make a difference in the outcome of what happens with students like myself. I will certainly keep my head up, even if sometimes it is hard, and continue to work for my future and the future of our great country.

I know now that I have to take that physical, do the whole "turn your head and cough" thing. But I know that even though it took some courage to find out about whether or not I could still do this program, I will be doing the program and that I will be having an awesome semester. This really affirms that if one really cares about something, one would do what it takes to get there, and yes, even doing the whole "turn your head and cough" deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment